Copyright

18 November 2011

Wheat? Really?

Wheat? Really?

So, as my kids got older and I got 'smarter', I decided to switch us all to wheat products.  Those were so much better than the processed white bread and pasta we had been shoveling down our throats, right?  All the while I worked to feed my family a healthier diet, I was slowly making my son sicker.  Geez - talk about a guilt trip!

I went home after that call from the doctor and grabbed a box.  I was determined to get rid of the wheat in my house.  Little did I realize then that my pantry would be almost empty!  Out when the cereal, the cookies, the pretzels.  Toss the pasta, the macaroni and cheese and the snack bars.  Don't forget the bread, cake mixes and tortillas.  Creamed soup - see ya!  Processed wheat has found its way into just about everything.

I toted a HUGE box and a few bags over to my neighbor's house.  The kids were thrilled.  However, the young boy has autism.  His Ohma started mentioning some of the things she had been reading and now I think they are working on changing their eating habits as well.

Once the pantry was empty, I realized this may be a bit trickier than I originally thought.  I grabbed my purse and out the door I went to do my least favorite thing - grocery shop.  First, I tried my regular store.  That was frustrating!  Then I headed over to Whole Foods - almost as frustrating and definitely more expensive.  I did pick up a few things to try.  What an experience!  The bread we tried...well, not even the dogs were interested!  The fake mac/cheese - OMG, it was NASTY!  I was so very discouraged.  Eventually, I found a few replacement things that were edible.  That was the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment