Copyright

18 November 2011

What - EXACTLY - are we dealing with?

From 21 Oct 2011


What - EXACTLY - are we dealing with?

My son had his follow up with his surgeon yesterday.  He came out saying the doctor said it was still healing, but should have already healed.  According to him, it should take 4 - 6 weeks to heal after surgery.  It's been 3 months.  My son wasn't exactly thrilled about the doctor's comment of maybe having to go in, reopen the area and stitch it to promote healing.  Neither was I.  My question - why wasn't his body healing properly.  My momstinct told me something was going on inside of his body keeping it from healing properly.

Then, about midnight - as that is when my son always seems ready to talk - he woke me up with his concerns.  He had been doing some research and his "wheat sensitivity" could possibly keep him from joining the service.  He's not 100% sure that's what he wants to do, but he does know he wants to study defensive/mechanical engineering and work on military issues.  From his body language, what he wasn't saying, and the fact he couldn't sleep, I knew all of this was really weighing on him.  I told him we would find out exactly what he had, so he could have the information he needed to move forward.  "Okay, mom, good night."

As soon as the doctor's office opened, I called to make an appointment for blood work - more blood work.  Unfortunately, our GP was out, but a nurse I trusted recommended one of the NPs since I was mostly needing someone to order the blood work.  She was awesome!  We now have an additional member to our team "Let's get Zack healed!"  We agreed that we needed to see if there was something blocking the healing ability of his body AND we needed to verify if his wheat issue was an allergy, sensitivity, wheat only, all gluten or full blow Celiac's disease.  She talked with us for a good amount of time and said she would be happy to work with us to figure this stuff out and get him moving forward.  Our team is now me, my son, our general physician, our AK Chiropractor and our new friend, the NP.  I am truly thankful I have them to bounce our questions off of - some they know the answers to and some lead us all to a bit more research!

Blood work has been done.  Results will be in next week.  Until then, we get back to kicking processed wheat out of his diet.   We know that's the minimum this 'adventure' will require.

No comments:

Post a Comment