Copyright

10 January 2012

Um, sigh...

My dear teen son has been home sick the past few days (again).  It seems he consumed too much wheat over the holidays and his system, once again, turned on him.  So, here's part of what went down yesterday when I got home from the office:

Me:  Hey son, how are you feeling?
Son:  Not much better.  What's for dinner?  Oh, never mind.  I forgot you had a chicken in the crock pot.
Me:  What time did you get up?
Son:  About 2 (that would be p.m. for those curious).
Me:  What have you had to eat today?
Son:  Pop Tarts
Me:  Um, son, you aren't supposed to eat the Pop Tarts.
Son:  Why?
Me:  Um, what are they made out of?
Son:  Uh...I don't...oh...really?  They have wheat in them?  (heavy sigh)

Obviously lots of work to do here!  First, I need to remove (again) all of the wheat products from the house (except for the basic flour as I owe a few friends a cake before I toss that out).  That way, he will know whatever is in the house is safe for him.  Then, I need to get really serious about finding foods he can eat (at home and out), educating him on what to look for and teaching him how to cook.

Trying to change eating habits for a 17 year old has been - well - challenging to say the least!

Dear Neighbors, I'll be bringing over a box of food tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment