Copyright

29 January 2012

Plastic Shopping Bags

Yesterday's trip to the store resulted in many plastic bags.  I had left my reusable bags in the car.  As I unpacked the groceries, I again thought about ways I could reuse the bags.  I must admit I only have about 4 ways I currently reuse these annoying things.

  • liner for bathroom trash containers
  • pick up bags for doggie droppings when walking
  • bagging up items for donation (when boxes aren't readily available or amounts are too small)
  • trash bag for car
In all of these ways, the bags will likely end up in the landfill.  Today, I've decided it would have been better to walk back out to the car to get my reusable bags.  Reviewing the above list, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to line the bathroom trash container.  99.9% of what goes in there is dry materials.  Those can easily be dumped and the container wiped down as needed.  It also doesn't make much sense to dispose of car trash in one when I can simply pay more attention and throw the trash in receptacles along my way (or simply quit bringing trash items into my car!).  So, I have decided to only keep some on hand for the doggie walks and small donations.  All the rest will be taken back to the store for recycling.  

Reusable shopping bags saves money (some retailers give a credit for every reusable bag used), clutter and unnecessary items going into the landfill.

1 comment:

  1. they also make great stuffing when mailing packages in a box--or packing when moving--however, not as fun as bubble wrap huh

    ReplyDelete