Copyright

16 January 2012

A day of finances - medical bills

Okay, one last thing to look at for the day.  Then I'm calling it quits and going for a walk!


Medical bills!  


They come fast after a procedure and they expect you to pay just as fast.  However, I have found many mistakes on these in the past and refuse to pay until I've had adequate time to review and verify the charges.  That is usually not fast enough for some office and they then threaten to turn the bill over to collections.  I say, "go for it!"  Work with me and you will get paid faster.  Threaten me or get testy and rude and you will get put at the bottom of the list.  


Currently, I have just over $2,300 in reviewed and approved medical bills to work into the spending plan.  However, there are many more still needing my review.  I must admit, I haven't been very active in that area lately.  Just trying to get a handle on some other things, I guess. 


Before it hit that amount, I had designated "x" amount of my spending plan to go towards paying these.  Each one gets a minimum payment monthly, with the lowest balance getting a little bit extra to get it paid off faster.  The intent - once the smallest is paid for, that amount then gets applied to the next smallest.  You've heard of the snowball approach before, I'm sure.  


I use the same approach with credit cards, but out of a separate 'money bucket.'  Once those are paid off, that amount will shift down to the medical bills.  


How long will it take to pay this off, I've yet to sit down and calculate that.  However, I expect the amount due to grow as I finish reviewing the bills from my son's recent surgery.  I need to shift more money over to these areas, but that will have to wait for me to finish my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment