Copyright

06 February 2012

Want vs. Need

Some people have a really hard time with this one - myself included.  When one has 'extra' money, it can become even more difficult to avoid mixing the two.  Here's my 'in the moment' example:


I've been slowly remodeling my house.  Most recently, I started the project of the large living area.  Now, I have a set amount going into the project account every month, but the balance is currently fairly low.


A big test popped up over the weekend.  I opened my newspaper to grab the coupon inserts and circulars.  I don't always look at all the circulars - I mean, why look at Office Depot if I need no supplies, right?  Well, I glanced through and saw the Conn's circular.  On the front page was a 43" flat screen TV - exactly the size I've been watching for for this room.  I've been watching the prices for the past few months, and this is a good deal.  It's an anniversary special, so the price is only good this week.  I wanted to run out and grab it!  Of course, I'm on driving restrictions, so it gave me time to think about it.  


It is the right TV and the right price.  However, I don't have enough in my remodeling account to cover it.  I'm close...really close, and could probably squeeze the extra amount needed out of this month's budget...if it were a NEED.


Now, I'll admit I might lean a little more towards grabbing this new TV if my old one wasn't working, or if it was the last thing needed to complete the project.  However, I currently have a working TV in this room and there's still a fair amount of work to be done on the project.  I might also lean more towards grabbing this IF my credit cards were paid off, but they're not.


So, as much as I hate passing up the $200+ savings, I will - with the hopes one will again go on sale for this amount when I am ready to make the purchase.  Now that I know one can be found for this amount, I will be much less likely to pay more for one when the time comes - I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment